Mold Damage Q&A

PuroClean Home Rescue services Northern California and parts of Nevada, but we still want to be able to help wherever you are. At some point in time mold damage may affect your home due to water damage that was either not noticed or not taken care of properly. At PuroClean Home Rescue we understand the mold related industry and we want to help you through the sometimes confusing process of mold removal.

Post your mold related questions below and we will answer them for you:

4 Responses to Mold Damage Q&A

  1. Marsha Breton says:

    Great blog guys – I’ve enjoyed reading all your posts. I have a small section of mold in my bathroom and a larger area in my daughter’s room. Can my husband take care of it himself or should I call a mold remediation company? Is everyone over-reacting when it comes to mold or is all the fuss justified?

    • Admin says:

      Great question Marsha. Water damage in your home is bad enough. The damage left behind can make your happy home look more like a war zone, and the clean up process will take a lot of time and effort. You may even find yourself displaced from your home for a while, which would depress anybody.

      Unfortunately, there is a far more nefarious problem lurking, namely the problem of mold, the single most common byproduct of water damage.

      Mold occurs all the time in nature. It is a natural part of the outdoor environment, acting as nature’s recycling center, breaking down dead plant and animal tissue. In fact, we encounter mold almost on a daily basis, even inhaling mold spores, with no ill effects. That is because the mold spores are properly dispersed over a wide area and the concentration isn’t enough to cause serious harm.

      That all changes when mold occurs in the home. Mold can appear in as little as 48 hours following a water damage event, and sooner than that if the water is sewage based. Mold establishes itself, spreads rapidly, and can prove almost impossible to remediate. What’s worse, mold brings with it all kinds of health hazards. In many cases, it may be something as mild as allergic reactions such as sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes, or you may experience more serious problems such as respiratory issues, neurological problems, or in rare cases, lung disease.

      So why the change? Because in interior settings, mold spores are found in much higher concentrations. Inhaling large amounts of an element that is designed to break down tissue can only have less than desirable results.

      While smaller mold growths may be successfully removed by homeowners, larger growths, say those over two feet in circumference, should be handled by a mold remediation professional.

      The trick to treating mold goes far beyond simply removing it. Just removing the mold means it will be able to return. The environment has to be treated to make it imposable for mold growth, namely by properly cleaning the affected area and taking steps to improve the ventilation. A dehumidifier may be used to bring down humidity levels in the area. Humidity should be kept to a level less than 50% to ensure that mold does not return.

      Some people spend a lot of money to have their homes tested for mold. This isn’t necessary in many cases. Mold presents itself as a fuzzy, greenish black growth on walls or pipes, usually accompanied by a noxious, acrid smell. In short, if you suspect you have mold, chances are pretty good that you do.

      Most water damage restoration companies offer mold remediation as one of their many services. They have the personnel, equipment, and are trained on where to look for mold and what to do with it when they find it. They can remove the mold and properly treat the area to prevent it from returning. This means a minimal interruption of your life and your family can be back in your home in no time.

      Don’t let mold get a foothold in your home. Call your local mold removal professionals today for an inspection and estimate.

  2. Nadine Shannon says:

    Thanks for providing a forum like this where questions can be answered. I have a mold related question. I have mold in my shower on the tiles and have heard people say to use bleach while others say not to use bleach because it doesn’t work on mold. Can you provide some insite for me?

    • Admin says:

      Hi Nadine – you’re welcome. Regarding your question, when mold grows in the shower or on any non-porous surface you can wipe it off with whatever you want – bleach will work too. Just as long as you understand that your goal here isn’t to kill the mold but just wipe off the bio-film it’s growing on and the mold itself. When mold grows on drywall (sheetrock) it can’t be sprayed or wiped off with anything (especially bleach). It needs to be cut out under containment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>